I joined the Department of Linguistics of the University of Tübingen in Summer 2008 as a Full Professor of Computational Linguistics and head of the Theoretical Computational Linguistics group. From 2008 to 2010, I also served two years as head of department. My work currently focuses on three broad areas:
- I. the use and advancement of linguistic insight and modeling in:
- - Intelligent Computer-Assisted Language Learning (TAGARELA, VIEW, WERTi, my old ICALL group)
- - learner corpora, Second Language Acquisition, Language Teaching, and Testing (MERLIN, Kobalt-DaF)
- - automatic comparison of meaning in authentic task contexts (CoMiC, SFB 833/A4)
- - use and correction of corpus annotation (DECCA project)
- - HPSG, constraint-based grammar formalization and processing
An event I co-organized is the CALICO-09 Workshop on Automatic Analysis of Learner Language (AALL'09), which follows up on the AALL'08 workshop and the Special Issue of the CALICO journal on this topic. The events build on the Interfaces of Intelligent Computer-Assisted Language Learning (IICALL) workshop I organized in 2006. I also taught a course on ICALL: An emerging interdisciplinary field at ESSLLI 2009 in Bordeaux and an updated version of the course at the Summer School in Bilingualism 2012 at Bangor University.
From 2005 to 2008, I was an Associate Professor and Director of Undergraduate Studies in the Department of Linguistics at The Ohio State University, after working there as an Assistant Professor since 2001. From 1997 to 2000, I was a Lecturer at the Department of Linguistics at the University of Tübingen, where I had worked as a full time researcher in the SFB 340 since 1995.
I received my MA degree in Linguistics, Computer Science, and Psychology from the University of Tübingen in 1994, and my PhD in Computational Linguistics there in 2000. During my studies, I enjoyed a year as an exchange student with an ERASMUS grant at the Institut de Recherche en Informatique (IRIT) at the Université Paul Sabatier, Toulouse in France.
For more detail, check out the CV information in cv-meurers.pdf